Screensnark Forums

Full Version: 2016 NFL Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
I'm fully convinced that we have reached peak NFL.

Thursday night games are a joke. London games are a joke. Celebration penalties are a joke. No one knows what constitutes a catch. Defensive players can't hit anymore. Everything is a penalty. Roger Goodell cares more about consolidating power than actually solving anything and just recently inferred that the the fans are stupid. I could give a shit about the kneeling during the Anthem but a lot of people don't like it.

I'm getting close to quitting watching this crap.
My new job has kept me from watching much...don't miss it as much as i thought i would
The NFL has tried to get too big for its britches.
Word
A dude got a flag today for tapping his shoulder after catching a td...wtf is that?
(10-23-2016 10:19 PM)52.1 Wrote: [ -> ]A dude got a flag today for tapping his shoulder after catching a td...wtf is that?

The reason NFL ratings are in freefall.
Here's why I think the ratings are in a free fall:
1. Not because the QB who has a nose like he's going to do the Humpty Dump, the Humpty Hump, takes a knee;
2. Not because of bullshit penalty calls that take the fun out;
3. Because of Netflix. I have been a sports fan my entire life and I can barely sit through an entire game of any sport, especially during the regular season.
Basketball: First 6 minutes or 12, Last 5 minutes.
Baseball: First Inning. Maybe last inning if I catch it and it looks close.
College Football: 1st Qtr, middle of 4th Qtr.
NFL: 1st Qtr, 4th Qtr, sometimes entire 1st Half if I'm looking at fantasy points and too lazy to get off my ass.

Whenever I watch an entire game, I feel like I just wasted my life, especially if my team loses or my bet loses. I'd rather play 3 1/2 hours of a video game because at least I was employing hand-eye coordination.

But, I digress, people would rather marathon tv shows than sit through mostly bad color commentary and the 7 1/2 minutes of actual football being played between commercials. It may also be that they aren't accounting for people streaming on computers and phones, but I think that actually gets counted.
I think there's a lot to dislike about the NFL as an organization.

There's the discipline issues. The Tom Brady witch hunt. Kaepernick deciding he's going to solve racial injustice. That entire mess with the NYG punter and the obvious punishment double standard is just going to be another reason people are turned off.

The league has an image problem if the only news it can generate is for players getting suspended. It's even worse if those suspensions are because the players often beat their wives.
I don't know anyone, except maybe women who were trying to enjoy the sport for their boyfriends/husbands, who would say, "I don't like the way the NFL disciplines its players who commit crimes." You don't see it with the NBA. You don't see it with music, rap or otherwise.

It's about boredom and attention span. The next generation coming up doesn't care about sports as much as they do about their phone content, social media, video games, getting laid. They just don't. It's not just the NFL seeing a decrease.
(10-24-2016 03:28 PM)Snowsurfer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know anyone, except maybe women who were trying to enjoy the sport for their boyfriends/husbands, who would say, "I don't like the way the NFL disciplines its players who commit crimes." You don't see it with the NBA. You don't see it with music, rap or otherwise.

It's about boredom and attention span. The next generation coming up doesn't care about sports as much as they do about their phone content, social media, video games, getting laid. They just don't. It's not just the NFL seeing a decrease.

MLB playoff ratings are up between 14% and 32% from last year and 2 years ago. Those games literally last forever. It's not attention span.

My point about player discipline is that it's literally all you hear about. Some player beats his wife and it gets coverage for months. Tom Brady gets suspended and it gets coverage for a year. The newest story is some player beat his wife and got suspended with pay.

The biggest NFL news stories are all negative. All of them. That takes a toll on viewership because nobody wants to watch that.

As far as rap music, most rap music is art or art loosely imitating life. I'll guarantee you that if Kanye beat the shit out of Kim and went to jail for it, and we got daily news stories for a couple of years about how Kanye is a piece of shit wife beater, there would be fewer people buying Yeezys.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Reference URL's